Yesterday my gorgeous wife and I celebrated twelve years of marriage. I’ve blogged about marriage many times, but my anniversary is another opportunity to share what I’m learning along the way. Here are 12 things you’ll learn after twelve years of marriage:
1. You’ll look back at your wedding photos and say, “Who are those kids?”
2. Being knee deep in parenting, you’ll think back and wonder, “What did we do with all that free time we had before we had kids?”
3. You’ll learn which fights are worth fighting, and more importantly, which one’s aren’t.
4. You’ll laugh at the false narratives of marriage being portrayed in the media (movies, sitcoms, etc).
5. You’ll find beauty in the mundane; you’ll find richness in the quiet moments with your spouse.
6. If you’ve made it twelve years, then you and your spouse will have already gone through the fire and come out stronger on the other side. You’ll have realized a new strength forged in your marriage.
7. You’ll learn that marriage doesn’t get easy after twelve years. It might get a little easier, but it never gets easy.
8. You’ll acknowledge that one of the greatest competitors to maintaining romance with your spouse is your own children.
9. To be successfully married for twelve years, you’ll have surmised that marriage is the most humbling, the most sacrificing, and most transformative thing you can ever do in life. It forever changes you.
10. You’ll have discovered a level of intimacy with another human being that you’ve never experienced before.
11. You’ll get this sense that your spouse truly does complete you. You’ll acknowledge that marriage really is God’s beautiful design.
12. You’ll learn that even though you spend every day with your spouse, you still have so much more to learn.
QUESTION: What have you learned after your years of marriage?